Friday 16 March 2012

The things I hate most....

Approaching a roundabout, you've gauged your speed, got into position on the road (depending on where you're turning, having first looked then indicated, of course), then some twat passes you and pulls in front of you so you have no where to go. The twat leaves no gap so you have no alternative. Ow well, at least he saved 10 seconds on his journey.

Single file traffic, a car in front of you is turning right in the road. No issue with that at all, Until some prick in a Reanult Clio (with roll cage??) driving like he thinks he's on a race track, drives straight up the turning cars backside then goes for a non existent gap causing me to take evasive action and almost end up in a ditch. perhaps his journey was so important that my life is irrelevant.

Not indicating at roundabouts. Now I've done this myself in a car when i'm so self indulged other road users are just an irritation. Not difficult though is it, that little stick on your right, goes up and down, not really much to ask. So frustrating when cycling as I have to alter my speed for your actions. You're approaching a roundabout from my right, you could go straight on, left or right. Why not just let me guess, thats an exciting game you lazy twat.

Headwinds:
Why ow Why do you hate me so....Winsdor Great Park, every night I have wind blowing into my riding direction, every poxy night. Nothing I can do about it but it just makes those long winding climbs that little bit harder. Just 1 night with a tail wind, thats all I ask. Unrealistic obvioulsy.

Punctures: Now I know this is clearly tempting fate but as this post is about things I dislike on my commute, puncture's clearly had to figure. You can do you're best to ensure you don't get punctures, I use slime tubes in Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres, which are renowned for their puncture protection, just for peice of mind. I'd happily add weight to the bike if it means I don't need to get off my bike to fix a puncture. During the summer months it's not such a pain but during the winter on the unlit roads I ride its a mare. 1 poxy front light to shine on what you can't see with headlights constantly passing then plunging you back into darkness. Its a simple process littered with potential pitfalls if you can't see what you're doing.

Riders at the side of the road: now this is a real double edged sword. The only reason they are stood their is due to a mechanical or a puncture. I carry tools and a tube, never leave home without them, so i just assume others do the same. I haven't stopped, previously and always regretted not doing so. I was riding a sportive once and punctured twice with not one person offering assistance, just bike after bike flying past me, it really affects moral. Had one person just stopped and offered assistance it would have made all the difference.

Since becoming a commuter I always stop, primarily because I ride the same route so the cyclist I help today may become the cyclist that helps me tomorrow. The last time I stopped I was flying on a Strava segment that I wanted to PB. I cycled straight pass the stricken rider at speed then thought 'fuck it' and slammed on the anchors peddling back to offer my assistance. Turns out he didn't need it as he lived 2 miles down the road and was enjoying the walk.......my point.

This could go on for ever......

No comments:

Post a Comment