Wednesday 28 February 2018

Saddle Woe


I recently had the nose of my saddle break on me. This upset me a smidge. I've had this particular saddle for about 5 years. It's a 2013 model of the Specialized Toupe Comp gel.

Great saddle, such a personal thing a saddle. £100 for a new one. £100!! Damn that's a lot of money.

It the grand scheme of thing's, its really not. When you work out how long you sit on a saddle. For me it's a 25 mile commute, that's 25 in each direction, 3 time's a week, probably, usually. I recon my now broken saddle has done at least 25,000 miles. I would assume more, it's been on at least 4 different bikes, It literally gets put on every bike I ride. Simple.

I've now bought a new version of that saddle. The 2017 version it would seem. The shape seems the same but the foam seems a little deeper with a ridge where there didn't used to be one, that said, the old saddle was 5 years old, so I guess designs change with time, i've just missed the changes.

I do sit on the nose of my saddle, not sure why, just find it more comfortable. Whatever. I did think about buying a different saddle. I want to try a Brooks one day, not one of the older range but one of the new  C17 saddles or perhaps the narrower C15. I generally go for 143mm width with a saddle, My point is, anything new I'd need to test. So I stick with the tried and tested.



This image still makes me sad. When you find something that works, stick with it. Then buy it again. If it's that good and it works, it's worth keeping.


No comments:

Post a Comment