Tuesday 27 February 2018

Roundabouts and shiz

I ride alone. A lot. It's a commuting thing. I have 2 ride buddies at work that sometimes choose to ride with me. One of them wants me to piss off 50% of the time but that's another story. Mostly it's a commitment thing. I think :) 

Anyway. I ride alone. A lot. So I just get on with it. I like to think I ride in a bold manner. I don't ride in the gutter, I ride so when a car goes to overtake, they have to overtake in to oncoming traffic. As they should. Quite right too. You're not squeezing me.

So I rarely get feedback on my riding style. Aggressive yeah. Ave it. Potentially dangerous. I don't believe so but I've never really thought about it. Yes I do ride aggressively. I do it to hold road position and keep my line. Ride submissively and you'll get taken advantage of. Simple as that. Ride in the gutter, cars won't cross the white line to overtake as they won't deem it necessary and the only one that suffers is you. Ultimately.

I'm a driver too you know. I also have a motorbike license. I am aware what's around me, always. I have to be.

Riding alone I go for gaps that aren't made for two. This was highlighted to me the other day when going for a gap on a roundabout. Done this 1000s of times before. No dramas. This gap was gradually getting smaller as I approached and I had company. The roundabout had 4 entry points, as I was approaching there was a car coming straight on, turning right and one entering from the right to go straight on.

This gave me a small window but one I was happy with. That is, if the cars continued at that constant pace but they didn't. The car turning slowed and the car going straight on quickened.
I was going right and my bud going straight on. He'd seen this and worked out he'd have a better chance of survival by stopping to give way like a decent road user should have.

I kept going. The car turned in front of me. I hit the gap the car behind me went straight on. I'm not sure what evasive action was taken but I assume someone had to break because of me.

So there is bold, clever riding and there is being wreckless. That move fell into the latter category. 

Not one of my finest moments on a bike. One I will surely learn from. Now i'm taking in the feedback of my fellow riders to make myself a better rider. I have 3 kids. Time to stop going for shrinking gaps and start thinking more about my riding. 


No comments:

Post a Comment