Friday 6 October 2017

Hit by a car, for the first time.....


I seem to be getting most of my 'firsts' on this Allez. Maybe its jinxed, who knows but I got knocked off my bike for the very first time yesterday.

Wasn't too bad to be fair, all things considered I got off quite lightly. I was turning right at a small roundabout in Frimley Green, following a car which was also turning right. A driver was sat in her car, waiting to go straight on, she saw the car but not me.

She was accelerating from a standing start, so the impact wasn't fast but it was still impact. It's made me think what I could have done to make myself more visible to her, I'm not really sure, my front light would have been flashing directly into her line of vision, I can only assume she wasn't looking in front of her at the time, its hard to say. She saw the car.

The accident seemed to play out in slow motion in front of my eyes. Normal route for me, normal process, following a car round a round about. I saw she started moving and I thought 'she'll see me, she'll stop, she'll defo stop OMG SHE'S NOT STOPING' and then contact.

Too many drivers nowadays don't wait for other drivers to leave the roundabout before entering, the new trend seems to be to enter the roundabout while the other driver is still exiting, this was a classic example of this, she simply didn't wait to see what was behind the car, in this instance, me.

Was I too close to the car I was following? I didn't think so. A few factors to take into consideration here, it was 7am (ish), in October, so low light, possibly low sun breaking through the clouds, I just hope she wasn't starring at a phone.

There was no CCTV in the area but I ride with a rear facing camera/light combo on the bike, yeah that Aldi one actually, its literally 2 days old and its already caught me being knocked off my bike. Ok it was rear facing, as luck would have it, my bike landed facing the opposite way to the impact, so I have the driver getting out of the car and the car registration. Happy days.

In fairness, she did stop and we did exchange details. She seemed nice enough, cried a couple of times, said her husband cycles. I like this idea, if you have a family member to relate this incident to, its all the more real.

As a result of the accident, I've bought a new helmet. My head hit the road pretty hard, the lid was 3 years old and now compromised, silly not too. I bought the same lid, Specialized Echelon II. Previous was black, new one is red. It has a 'hair port' too, for my pony tail, being a bald man, this sold the deal for me. It's unisex, honestly.

I also needed a new front wheel, I currently ride Shimano Ultegra 6800 wheels, my LBS quoted me £250 for a replacement front wheel. 'Don't be silly' was my reply. £270 a pair on Wiggle. I like to spend in my LBS if I can but don't take the piss out of me. I did buy my lid there mind. Wasn't cheaper elsewhere.

Didn't see the point in buying the same wheelset if a slow accident can write off a wheel. Mavic Aksiums have been ordered. Nice wheelset, nice price.

Anyway, the bike will ride on as will I. Thankfully no broken bones. I'm still chasing 10,000 miles on this bike. Currently I'm sat at 9137.7 and I WILL get there.

No more drama please.



1 comment:

  1. Glad for you and the bike that nothing catastrophic happened. Another case of SMIDSY. At least the driver seemed decent about it.
    Enjoy the new kit and wheels. Stay safe chap.

    ReplyDelete