Monday 11 September 2017

My First 10k bike

Now I've had a few bikes.....


These are only my bikes post 2012, when I found Strava. Their was a Tricross that I used for a few years that got me into commuting, none of its mileage is shown here. But as the saying goes 'If it ain't on strava, it never happened', so I have no clue how many miles I racked up on that thing.

When I started commuting, I would put a star sticker on my cross bar when I'd cycled 100 consecutive days. This was working week only, not including weekends but I had access to a car at the time, so consecutive days ridden to work felt like it needed rewarding and a sticker on the frame it was.

I got bored of this idea when I'd gotten 2 stickers on the crossbar and sold the bike. Then came the Cannondale and numerous single speeds, the Giant, a brief fling with a Raleigh and here we are. I only have one bike now. This makes me both angry and sad but I have no where to put a second bike.

I only have the Allez. I did want a cross bike and I had one in the Raleigh, in hindsight, this would be a better option for winter but as a single 'year round' bike, it was just too heavy and too slow. Summer would come and roadie's would just pass me with ease. Don't get me started on electric bikes......I'm still trying to find the funny side of that.

So to my Allez. Great little bike, its already done one winter and will be my trusty steed through the next few I'm sure, after all, bikes are supposed to be ridden, their is no point being delicate about them. The only upgrades I've made are saddle, wheels, brake pads, that's it. It's a break fix bike.

Anyway, it's now done 8500 miles and it made me think, this could be my first 10k bike. How exciting is that?! Ok, not overly but its a milestone. The closest i've gotten so far is 9304 on my old Langster. I do love a single speed. I didn't realise i'd done so many miles on that, it was literally my go too bike just because it was so damn easy and reliable.

Screw it. I'm always looking at new bikes. Always wanting something additional to what I already have but 3 kids and a wedding round the corner, it's just not doable. So the Allez IS my bike of choice and it WILL be my first 10k bike.

I might even get it a sticker for the crossbar to celebrate our time together. It's probably worthy of more to be fair, carrying my sorry ass about for 10,000 miles is no easy task. I might get drunk, possibly even clean the bike. Whhhooopp

No comments:

Post a Comment