Wednesday 1 February 2012

So, how did it go?

So I got my bike back from my Local bike shop (LBS) in Staines......

I got that call, the one I feared from having been a Kwik Fit customer, the one that tells you whats also wrong with your car that you hadn't accounted for... but it was a good call, I was called by the mechanic (Dean) at 1pm to confirm the price and tell me I should replace the rear gear cable as it was frayed, I was quoted at £25 for replacing the chain and cassette and cleaning up the rear derailleur, which was long overdue due to my complete lack of anything close to maintenance. The gear cable was £3 so I asked Dean to also replace the front derailleur cable as this one was toast too. £31 all in, I'll take that. Bargain.

I got a call roughly 1 hr 15 mins later saying the bike was ready for collection, Dean said 'ask for me and I'll show you how to maintain the gears'. This may not be rocket science but I don't do it, my maintenance schedule is literally to oil the chain and pump up the tyres, damn I've only cleaned it once in 16 months and that was prior to having the gears done as you'd need a shower having to just touch a wheel. In my defence, I've done over 4000 miles on the bike and when it comes to the weekend I just don't want to look at it.

Anyway, I went to collect the bike and asked for Dean, he then talked me through how to clean and oil the chain properly without caking the entire rear wheel/mud guard in excess oil. The work looked mint, the whole gear set-up looked like new, I couldn't stop staring. Proper chuffed. Shiny again.

The thing that got me the most was how pleased Dean looked about the work he'd done and how much detail he'd gone into about keeping it looking good for as long as possible. You could see the man takes pride in what he does. The work looks immaculate and the bike feels great. I even posted a Pb last night on my route home.

There was a few guys in the shop yesterday only I can't recall the names of the other 2 but all providing great customer service and passionate about bikes.

I think I've found the only bike shop I'll ever need.

No comments:

Post a Comment