Monday 1 April 2013

6 days and counting

With 6 days to go until my first Sportive (ish) ride of 2013 it seemed inevitable that I'd need to ramp up my mileage a little.

Needing to do this made me realise I don't really do long rides, in fact all I ever seem to do is commute. My max distance is around 30 miles a day, I do ride every day I work (give or take) as I don't own a car but my real struggle is distance.

This again proved to be the case on Sunday. I rode with a mate who is far more accomplished at riding distance and manages his performance accordingly.

My legs weren't feeling great after a run on the Saturday, I don't run as a rule but like the idea of being able to exercise in 30 minutes. The last time I ran, I ran 3 miles then struggled to walk for a week.

Little steps....I ran 1.2 miles, I was gone 8 mins, the wife questioned why I even bothered but it's good to build up slowly.

Anyway, about an 2 hours in I decided to test my legs by jumping on the wheel of another cyclists who just happened to pass on one of many Chiltern climbs. I stayed with and felt good, it seems that may well have been the high point of my ride. I dropped my ride
Buddy who then preceded to 'carry me' for the remainder of the ride.

It seems I struggle over 40ish miles, not great with a 95 miler coming up. Now I could blame nutrition as I'd only eaten Hot cross buns pre ride. I always under estimate the effect of a good feed.

It seems I may need to pace myself and ride within my means for the first 40. Pride eh?!

A real highlight of the ride was a coffee stop in Henley, an exceptional cappuccino alongside a heavenly Peice of Tiffin at the 55 mile mark was much needed.

My ride buddy rides a Canyon (full carbon) to my Alu Cannondale, weighs about a stone more than me and descends like a eff'ing bullet, if neither of us pedal and both crouch he'll pull a huge gap before the descent is over. I didn't even have the energy to pull this back on the flat, so kudos goes to Martin for staying with me.

At 70 miles, post leg cramp, I was just happy for the ride to be nearing the end. Thankfully, while I was out ruining myself, my better half was cooking roast chicken and all the trimmings, which I devoured upon my return. If it hadn't of been for a post meal walk around the Look Out, my legs would feel worse today than their current 'glass' like state.

https://www.strava.com/activities/46648926

Looking toward next weeks 90 miler, I'm feeling that losing 15 quid isn't the end of the world, after all 'who needs distance cycling'?

Nah, I'll give it a bash and see how I get on, hopefully it'll be cancelled due to the weather.

That's the attitude.....

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment